These little gluten-free energy balls are great if you are craving for something sweet. They are made without added processed sugar, with the sweetness added from dates, shredded coconut, and dark chocolate. They are really easy to make and your kids can help you roll them up and eat them during the process. You can make these any time – they only have 6 ingredients.
Gluten free chocolate balls
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 1805
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 211g
Saturated Fat 151g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 8g
Monounsaturated Fat 38g
Total Carbohydrates 378g
Dietary Fiber 65g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- • 260 grams Medjool dates
- • 75 grams almond flour
- • 6 grams cacao powder
- • 25 grams oats
- • 150 grams dark chocolate (70% cacao or greater)
- • 200 grams unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1. Pit the Medjool dates and cut them up roughly with a knife
- 2. Put the dates in a bowl with almond flour, cacao powder and oats. Use your hands to mix and gather everything into a big ball, and then reshape into smaller balls about ¾-inch, continuing until there is nothing left.
- 3. Melt the chocolate by first bringing about 1 inch of water in a small saucepan to boil. Then rest a larger diameter heat-proof bowl on top of the saucepan; making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water in the saucepan. Add chocolate to the bowl, and stir occasionally as the chocolate softens. Remove the bowl from the heat when there are only a few chunks left.
- 4. Place the shredded coconut in a wide bowl.
- 5. Use a spoon to dip the small date balls into the chocolate on at a time, transferring each one to the bowl of shredded coconut. Roll and cover each ball with coconut, and transfer to a sheet of parchment paper or wax paper. Continue until all balls are covered with chocolate and shredded coconut.
- 6. Transfer the balls to the refrigerator and let the chocolate harden. Once they harden, they are ready to be enjoyed anytime. You can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.