Flatbread recipes are pretty straightforward – you can make some pizza dough (or buy some store-bought dough), roll it out and grill it on a grill pan. The best thing is that you can be creative and stuff it with anything you like.
I whipped this up for lunch with my girlfriend by oven-roasting a few veggies I found in the refrigerator. For this you can use eggplant, squash, bell pepper, mushrooms, and onions, and if you don’t have any harissa yogurt dressing, you can substitute with a mixture of mayonnaise and a little squeeze of Sriracha.
- • 4 balls of pizza dough (For homemade dough see recipe under link below)
- • 1 onion, cut into wedges
- • ½ squash, sliced into rounds
- • 1 red bell pepper, sliced into rounds
- • 2 garlic scapes, cut into 1 ½ inch lengths
- • 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- • Salt and pepper
- • 4 small handfuls of arugula salad
- • ¼ cup chopped mint
- • ¼ cup chopped chives
- • 2 boiled eggs, cut into wedges
- • 6 oz. smoked salmon
- • Harissa yogurt dressing (see recipe under link below)
- 1. Toss the sliced vegetables with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake them in the oven at 440°F (225°C) for about 20-25 min.
- 2. Roll the dough out into a pizza disk and put it on a lightly-oiled grill pan. Bake until the dough turns crispy, with charred striped from the grill pan. Continue to make the next three flatbreads (if you need more detailed instructions, check link below for homemade flatbread recipe).
- 3. Spread a thin layer of harissa yogurt dressing on the top of the flatbread, followed by a portion of the roasted vegetables, arugula salad, chives, eggs and smoked salmon.
- 4. Serve it open-faced as a pizza, or fold it halfway for easier eating with your hands.