In our household quesadillas are made both day and night. It is my husband’s first choice as an easily prepared comfort food, and is one of the dishes he has truly mastered.
The great thing about cheese quesadillas is they get much more interesting when you stuff them with all sorts of sautéed vegetables. This particular kale & mushroom stuffed quesadilla can also be made as a breakfast quesadilla – just add some scrambled eggs.
Kale & mushroom quesadilla
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 152
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 17g
Saturated Fat 3g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Total Carbohydrates 83g
Dietary Fiber 6g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- • 6 white button mushrooms, cleaned and patted dry
- • 1 shallot, diced
- • 1 big handful kale, cut into smaller pieces
- • 1 tablespoon olive oil
- • Salt and pepper
- • Pinch of dried chili flakes
- • 4 Multigrain tortilla (I used Ezekiel 4:9 organic sprouted grain tortillas)
- • Shredded cheese and/or goat cheese
- 1. Heat olive oil in a pan over high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until browned. Lower the heat to medium and add the diced shallot. Sauté until browned. Add the kale and let cook until softened.
- 2. Transfer the vegetables from the sauté pan into a smaller bowl. Reheat the same pan, lay out a tortilla, top with some shredded mozzarella cheese, the sautéed vegetables, and a little more cheese/goat cheese. Top with another tortilla and turn once the cheese has melted and the bottom tortilla has taken on some color.
- 3. Cut the quesadilla into triangles and eat as-is or serve with some salsa or sour cream.