The typical diner coleslaw that we all know conjures images of blandness, and has given real coleslaw an undeserved bad rap. Eating real homemade coleslaw with barbecue is amazing, and this particular recipe is the best coleslaw that I have ever had. The secret is adding celery seeds to the slaw – it really makes a huge difference. Add some red cabbage for a color-perfect salad that stands out from the rest. The best part is that it’s super easy to make.
- • 1 cup of mayonnaise (choose the classic real mayonnaise)
- • 2 tablespoons white vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- • 1 1/2 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- • 1 teaspoon sugar
- • Salt and pepper to taste
- • 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- • A mix of shredded carrots, green/red cabbage (you can shred everything yourself or be lazy and buy a precut shredded mix).
- 1. Make the dressing by whisking the mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 2. Toss the dressing together with the mixed slaw and add the celery seeds to the mix. Toss again and refrigerate for an hour before serving.