Beets are in season, and so good for your body and health.
They are rich in nutrients and antioxidants, have strong anti-inflammatory properties, serve as a great detoxifying cleanse for your body, and are even known to be nature’s Viagra.
The combination of sweet, creamy and bitter is a great balance for a salad and the colors together are gorgeous. This is a perfect for a little starter or side dish.
Carrot, beet and arugula salad
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 119
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 13g
Saturated Fat 4g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 8g
Total Carbohydrates 25g
Dietary Fiber 5g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- • 2 medium red beets
- • 1 large carrot, cut into ¼ inch thick pieces
- • ½ red onion, sliced
- • ½ tablespoon of olive oil
- • Salt and pepper
- • 2 big handfuls of baby arugula salad
- • 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- • 1 tablespoon olive oil
- • 1 oz. goat cheese
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425 deg F (220 deg C)
- 2. Clean, scrub and trim the beets and wrap them with aluminum foil. Place them on a large baking pan.
- 3. Cut the carrots and onions and toss with oil, salt and pepper. Place them next to the beets and bake both beets and carrots together in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until the onions are charred and the carrots are cooked. Take the carrots and onions put of the oven and set aside. 4. Continue to bake the beets for another 1 hour. Take the beets out of the oven, remove from the foil, and let cool before rubbing the skin off the beets. Slice the beets and let them cool off.
- 6. In a small pot, heat the balsamic until reduced to half the original amount, and let cool off.
- 7. Place the arugula salad on a serving plate. Lay out the beets on top and then carrots and onions. Drizzle with olive oil, reduced balsamic, and salt and pepper.
- 8. Top with crumbled goat cheese and serve.
- * You can also top with some roughly chopped pistachios to add a little crunch and salty flavor.