Over the years I have tried many variations of bacon-wrapped dates, and they are usually delicious. But once I tried the version created by my new friend Nate on a birthday celebration trip to upstate New York, I completely fell in love with this snack.
Nate’s secret was to stuff the dates with feta cheese. The combination of the rich flavor from the feta with the sweet dates and salty bacon is a perfect mouthwatering combination. I made these at a little wine and cheese party and they quickly disappeared.
- • Bacon, cut into smaller pieces, just big enough to wrap a date
- • Feta cheese, cut into thin rectangles
- • Small dried dates, pitted
- • Tooth picks
- 1. Cut a slit along each date and stuff them with feta. Wrap a piece of bacon around each date, and close and secure the bacon with a toothpick.
- 2. Bake in the oven at 350°F (180°C) for about 25 minutes, or until browned and crisp.
- 3. Transfer them onto a plate lined with paper towel to absorb the grease from the bacon. Serve them on a nice serving plate.