If you are on a diet or just want to eat healthy, this dish is the way to go.
Quinoa is a considered the new superfood and pomegranate is extremely rich in antioxidants. Pair the dish with a green salad for a vegan version, or serve with some fish or chicken.
(My husband loved the salad so much that he ate three portions)
INGREDIENTS (4-6 servings):
- 1 cup of quinoa (red or white as you prefer), cooked
- ¾ cup of pomegranate seeds (see instructions for seeding a pomegranate here)
- 1/3 cup of scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup of flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 5 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup of slivered almonds, toasted on a small skillet with a little butter or oil
- Cook the quinoa in a small pot with ½ teaspoon salt as directed on package.
- In a medium-large bowl, toss together quinoa, pomegranate seeds, scallions, parsley, tomatoes, and slivered almonds.
- In another small bowl, mix lemon juice, lemon zest, red wine vinegar and sugar, until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over the quinoa pomegranate salad and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with toasted almonds.